Artificial Intelligence and machine learning have thecapability to advance security as well as data-safety solutions by processing analyticinsights. Cyber security companies are faced with multipletransformations which have been well documented in the past years. Multipleorganizations are looking forward to switching to AI for securityreasons. Artificial Intelligence (AI) happens to be a well-knownbuzzword in the present era. Now the question is: when will thenext revolution of tech disruption take place?
High Time: Need for Artificial Intelligence in Cyber Security
An urgent requirement of Artificial Intelligence has been experienced by security administrators in security driven industries. It’s not just a question of why AI is needed for securing the data, in fact, it is a much needed move for thwarting malicious attackers and cyber related threats.
- Cyber threats are shooting up rapidly day-by-day. The image of cybersecurity has experienced losses as hackers and attackers were required to succeed only once, whereas defenders had to guard an oversized, ever-growing attack surface 24×7. Thus it’s beyond the capability of humans to protect systems from such brute force attacks.
- It will take hundreds of individuals to drill and investigate all their security and information to discover modern cyber threats, and take action rapidly to prevent sabotage. However, such an investigation by hundreds of individuals is practically impossible and very expensive.
- Artificial Intelligence overcomes this drawback by amalgamating AI and automation with individuals’ skills to provide ultimate threat management.
- Creating next-generation systems for threat detection and response isn’t possible for several organizations at present. Artificial Intelligence and machine learning will facilitate in bridging this gap by providing high-level detection and response as a service, hence eliminating the complication and price of creating in-house next-generation security driven operations.
AI is superior to humans, but cannot outperform them
- At the present time, we confront complicated attacks which create a messy mass of information to scrutinize. We currently have to investigate network traffic, application & transaction information, customer access data, social media data, cloud info, information from a range of security items, dark internet data and many more: the list is never-ending.
- Advanced needs the flexibility to rapidly examine a large amount of information. AI facilitates this by applying advanced math on huge scale information needed to mitigate threats. Furthermore, these days, a single well-resourced AI system can operate advanced mathematical calculations in comparison to the entire human population.
- Machines are highlyadvanced and more affordable in comparison to humans when we are talking aboutmanagement of large volumes of data. This is specifically what security-drivenenterprises require currently, particularly with the huge number of advanced threats.
- Humanclassification, particularly when dealing with massive amounts ofdata, is fault-prone because of boredom and variousdistractions. Machines, on the other hand, don’t mind working on thesimilar routine, again and again. Also, they conduct routine andrepetitive tasks a lot quicker with extra efficiency incomparison to humans.
- With AI, it’s essential to keep a watch over the results to verify whether or not various algorithms are still operating inside the required parameters. AI, without any kind of human assistance, may divert from the set track. However, operating in partnership with Artificial Intelligence, researchers are freed from most of the burden of work.
- However, human intelligence is not sufficient for such calculations and multiple mathematicalfunctions. And the phenomena of cyber security demands more than simple dataanalysis.
- In cyber security,when defenders are evaluating a risk or creating an alert, or scrutinizing anaccurate response, they require aspects of Human Intelligence. AI technologieshave not yet evolved with the potential to replace these abilities of humanintelligence.
It is very true that AI may not identify whether an alert is a real attack,which human cognition skills can, although AI can speed up the detection of theattack by the augmentation of human analyst potential. AI will provideefficient solutions to the human analysts, solve the queries for them andperform those tasks where human capability fails.
Listed below are some technical methods of human skill augmentationthrough AI:
- Triaging: AI driven techniquesmight be utilized to enhance human analysis. AI will deploy machine learningprocesses of historical patterns as well as data visualization to filter outthe pertinent alerts quickly and provide the triaged and enhanced alerts forthose human analysts to carry the investigation further.
- Threat Hunting: AI is highlybeneficial as it will look for patterns and various anomalies though the entiredata and provide the outcome to human analysts for further investigation.
- Incident Analysis orInvestigation: Humans have an advantage when we talk about investigatingany kind of incident. Security investigations demand a bundle of reasoningskills which modern AI technologies do not have. AI models basically answerwhat has happened to the asset, who are the real attackers and several otherquestions.
- ThreatAnticipation: AI will also enhance human potential in threatanticipation. Threat anticipation for a company notices when a violation occursin other organizations and assures its customers by alerting them as soon aspossible.
- IncidentResponse: AI even helps in incident response. When an alert isinitiated as an incident, an efficient response needs 4 crucial steps- having thespread, recovering the impacted systems, minimizing the major causes of theattack and enhancing their security framework for the future.
In the present era, AIoriented technologies canperform quick mathematical calculations toreinforce the crucial abilities of human intelligence.And this is the realm of applications where ArtificialIntelligence provides the largest perk for cyber security.Based on the resultsof the algorithm, human intelligence is required again to take decisions withrespect to the data categorized or considered by the AI machine. In fact,the relationship between human and artificial intelligence is basicallysymbiotic: in the primary step, expertise of cyber security is required tostructure and categorize training data, chose correct algorithms and, inseveral cases, determine the appropriate response.